Plans are currently underway to make E10 the standard petrol across the United Kingdom as a plan to meet increasingly tighter emission targets. Petrol currently available within the UK has been E5, which is 5 percent ethanol content.
What is E10 ethanol and why should I care?
Ethanol is produced from biomass, typically fermentation of sugar cane and grains, which is noted to have less impact on the environment than petrol which is produced from crude oil. Most motorists don’t pay much attention to which petrol to select at pump, however the level of ethanol can play havoc with older motorcycles and result in expensive repair bills.
Many older vehicles including motorcycles were not designed to consume fuel with a high ethanol content. Ethanol is noted to have a destabilising impact on plastic, rubber and oil based components which result in premature failure. Fuel containing ethanol also tends to destabilise when left unused for long periods of time which causes rusting of metal components, such as steel petrol tanks.
How to protect your classic motorcycle from E10 ethanol
Fortunately products have been on the market for while to help you mitigate the impact of ethanol within petrol, such as fuel stabiliser products and inline filters. We produced some guidance on ethanol a few years ago which still holds true today, so please read and get your self up to speed on protecting your classic or vintage motorcycle.
- STA-BIL Storage Fuel Stabiliser – Petrol Additive – 8ozon March 31, 2020 at 12:12 pm
£9.99End Date: Thursday Apr-30-2020 13:12:05 BSTBuy It Now for only: £9.99Buy It Now | Add to watch list
- STA-BIL Storage Fuel Stabiliser – Petrol Additive – 16ozon March 23, 2020 at 9:08 am
£13.99End Date: Thursday Apr-23-2020 10:08:17 BSTBuy It Now for only: £13.99Buy It Now | Add to watch list
- Sta-Bil 22254 Diesel Formula Fuel Stabilizer and Performance Improver – 946mlon March 19, 2020 at 11:11 am
£29.99End Date: Sunday Apr-19-2020 12:11:59 BSTBuy It Now for only: £29.99Buy It Now | Add to watch list
- Liqui Moly Motorcycle Bike Fuel Stabiliser Protects Against Oxidation 250mlon February 28, 2020 at 8:01 am
£17.75End Date: Tuesday Apr-28-2020 9:01:03 BSTBuy It Now for only: £17.75Buy It Now | Add to watch list
- BMW Motorrad ADVANTEC Protect Motorcycle Fuel Additive Stabiliser (BMW Approved)on February 27, 2020 at 1:41 pm
£9.99End Date: Monday Apr-27-2020 14:41:58 BSTBuy It Now for only: £9.99Buy It Now | Add to watch list