Leaving Nelson and heading for Lake Brunner
I decided to have a quick coffee and energy bar for breakfast to make plenty of time for the 400Km ride today. The current weather forecast looked very mixed along the west coast, and I wanted to make good progress before stopping for an early lunch.
The route today is a superb mixture of coastal views and inland ranges, navigating through tobacco fields and apple orchards. You can easily get carried away with the Suzuki Bandit’s huge torque whilst navigating the sweeping roads through Murchison, and out to the coastal town of Westport.
The route 6 south of Westport provided an opportunity to stop at Cape Foulwind to ride the short coastal road to the seal colony. Unfortunately I didn’t see any seals today, however the views were amazing, and well worth the extra stop.
Heading south from Cape Foulwind the weather started to become colder and wetter, so the waterproofs needed to be pulled from the rucksack again.
My final planned stop before Lake Brunner was the Pancake Rocks at Punakaiki, which stretch from the coast to form dramatic water spouts when the waves crash through them.
I reached Lake Brunner late in the afternoon, just in time to watch the sunset over the lake before dinner. I could definitely feel the weather turning a lot colder today, which didn’t detract from the amazing scenery and roads I’d travelled and enjoyed.
After a drink and a hearty meal, it was time get plenty of sleep for the following day, which includes a ride via the famous Arthurs Pass.
- Lonely Planet New Zealand’s South Island (Travel… | Book | condition very goodon October 19, 2020 at 7:47 pm
£4.31 End Date: Thursday Nov-19-2020 19:47:38 BSTBuy It Now for only: £4.31Buy It Now
- LONELY PLANET NEW ZEALAND’S SOUTH ISLAND (TRAVEL GUIDE) **BRAND NEW**on October 19, 2020 at 4:30 pm
£17.75 End Date: Thursday Nov-19-2020 16:30:42 BSTBuy It Now for only: £17.75Buy It Now
- JUNE 2006 South Island New Zealand THE SNOW STORM & The Big Chill, illustratedon October 18, 2020 at 1:45 pm
£2.00 End Date: Wednesday Oct-28-2020 13:45:04 BSTBuy It Now for only: £2.00Buy It Now
- NZ FRENZY: NEW ZEALAND SOUTH ISLAND 2ND EDITION By Scott Cook **Mint Condition**on October 16, 2020 at 4:26 pm
£22.49 End Date: Monday Nov-16-2020 16:26:57 BSTBuy It Now for only: £22.49Buy It Now
- Continental Plate Boundary : Tectonics at South Island, New Zealand, Hardcove…on October 16, 2020 at 1:12 pm
£218.16 End Date: Monday Nov-16-2020 13:12:59 BSTBuy It Now for only: £218.16Buy It Now