The last couple of projects in the garage involved having to remove very corroded exhaust manifold bolts within a tight space. In both situations I needed to remove exhaust bolts which had badly corroded allen heads, primarily due to zinc plating failing and water being trapped (the bikes get used in all weathers).
Over the years I have tried many methods to remove bolts from saturating in penetrating fluid, mole grips, heat gun, gator grip and so on. The method that I find works the best for me at the moment is using an old socket and hammering over the corroded bolt head, and gently rotating bolt until loose.
I good coating of penetrating oil can also help things along if you leave it overnight before making your attempt. My video shows the process I’ve used on both of my first generation Suzuki GSXRs over the past few months. I hope you find it helpful!
- NEW LOCTITE FREEZE & RELEASE PENETRATING OIL 400ML 760225 TOP QUALITY PRODUCTon January 15, 2021 at 2:52 pm
£9.99 End Date: Monday Feb-15-2021 14:52:13 GMTBuy It Now for only: £9.99Buy It Now
- Liquimoly 400ml Rust Dissolver Spray Multifunctional Penetrating Oil Multi Useon January 13, 2021 at 6:05 pm
£31.78 End Date: Saturday Feb-13-2021 18:05:02 GMTBuy It Now for only: £31.78Buy It Now
- AMBERSIL PENETRATING OIL – PACK OF 12on January 13, 2021 at 10:32 am
£59.99 End Date: Saturday Feb-13-2021 10:32:10 GMTBuy It Now for only: £59.99Buy It Now
- Multifunction Penetrating Oil Contact Spray Cleanser WD 40 Multi Spray 400mlon January 11, 2021 at 6:52 pm
£34.92 End Date: Thursday Feb-11-2021 18:52:59 GMTBuy It Now for only: £34.92Buy It Now
- New Innotec Deblock XS Oil – Penetrating Oil – 500ml – De-Block – Rust Dissolveron January 11, 2021 at 6:49 pm
£15.80 End Date: Thursday Feb-11-2021 18:49:19 GMTBuy It Now for only: £15.80Buy It Now