The last couple of projects in the garage involved having to remove very corroded exhaust manifold bolts within a tight space. In both situations I needed to remove exhaust bolts which had badly corroded allen heads, primarily due to zinc plating failing and water being trapped (the bikes get used in all weathers).
Over the years I have tried many methods to remove bolts from saturating in penetrating fluid, mole grips, heat gun, gator grip and so on. The method that I find works the best for me at the moment is using an old socket and hammering over the corroded bolt head, and gently rotating bolt until loose.
I good coating of penetrating oil can also help things along if you leave it overnight before making your attempt. My video shows the process I’ve used on both of my first generation Suzuki GSXRs over the past few months. I hope you find it helpful!
- K2 VULCAN Release Spray Corroded Rusted Bolts Nuts Screw Penetrating Oil – 150mlon April 10, 2021 at 5:02 pm
£6.49 End Date: Monday May-10-2021 18:02:39 BSTBuy It Now for only: £6.49Buy It Now
- K2 VULCAN Release Spray Corroded Rusted Bolts Nuts Screw Penetrating Oil – 250mlon April 10, 2021 at 4:57 pm
£7.49 End Date: Monday May-10-2021 17:57:51 BSTBuy It Now for only: £7.49Buy It Now
- 24X Q10 Penetrant 150grm aerosol Rapid Penetrating Oil Rusty Seized Bolt Screwon April 5, 2021 at 11:32 am
£24.95 End Date: Wednesday May-05-2021 12:32:49 BSTBuy It Now for only: £24.95Buy It Now
- 12X Q10 Penetrant 150grm aerosol Rapid Penetrating Oil Rusty Seized Bolt Screwon April 5, 2021 at 11:28 am
£16.95 End Date: Wednesday May-05-2021 12:28:20 BSTBuy It Now for only: £16.95Buy It Now
- PETEC 70050 Rostlöser MOS2 Spray Rostentferner 500ml Penetrating Oil Fast Actingon April 4, 2021 at 11:16 am
£18.71 End Date: Tuesday May-04-2021 12:16:40 BSTBuy It Now for only: £18.71Buy It Now